A house is vital to every family because it provides shelter. It is a place where there are safety and comfort. It is where people share moments with family members and spends time knowing each other. It is one of the things that develop every childhood and becomes part of memories as they grow up. It becomes part of every person’s life due to the things around and inside it. It is the last place people want to go to when they feel alone and tired. It is the place that somehow removes outside stress away. That’s how essential a house is for everyone.
The 2016 Anaheim Home Improvement Events talk about a lot of valuable ideas that adds beauty to everyone’s home. Every topic is trending and enticing. The discussions are more about bringing comfort to the owners’ home, increasing space, promoting energy efficiency, reducing the hassle of maintenance, boosting the house’s appeal, as well as upgrading its value. The target of the discussion is to share basic information on what popularly needs improvement and its importance inside everyone’s home.
Due to the different types of the season and consistent change in weather, your house suffers from too much exhaustion. So by the time summer is around, some permanent repairs are essential. Here are some of the things you can do to freshen up your home.
Room Painting – Touching up an old paint in the walls is one of the best ideas of home improvement. It may seem to be the most straightforward activity that you can do, but it impacts the house in a seemingly large way. It helps in creating a new sense of style and mood of the house. But the significant thing about repainting your home is the increased defense it can give against insects, weather, and other damages. Of course, it also adds immense value to your home’s worth too.
Rearranging Furniture – When you look at your home and thinking about renovation’s result, placement of furniture is one of the things you consider. Whether it’s a full renovation or room-remodeling, the things that go inside every area of the house should correspond to its surrounding. The locations of the furniture play a significant role in keeping your home spacious, neat, and functional.
Fix The Gutters – Gutters do improve not only the quality of your home but also develops its overall function. Fixing the gutter is the best way to maintain the house’s overall value because it keeps them away from other sorts of damages that cause a lot of money in the future. Gutters are vital parts of the house that protects the wall, roof, foundation, and landscapes. That’s why it needs proper care and maintenance.
Insulate Your House – Aside from taking time in regulating your home’s temperature, better install proper insulation. It will not only bring a more refreshing summer feeling but will also help in bringing a warmer winter too. It also helps in lowering down the utility bills. Whenever you still have enough budgets, consider replacing the windows with vinyl or fiberglass. It will improve the right amount of temperature inside the house.
Go Green – There are tons of options to choose from when it comes to investing money into power sources. You can have solar panels, windmills, or anything that is eco-friendly. Not only it does help in saving and preserving the environment, but it also ensures a safe production of energy source. Plus, it adds a boost in increasing your property value. That’s because each 1-kilowatt increase in the solar panel system, there’s an approximate 6000 dollars that go up to the house’s resale value.
Consider Landscaping – By removing dead plants, keeping your lawn mowed, and ensuring a tidy yard, your house reaches its full potential quality. Not only does the interior remodeling add value, but also the exterior renovation can make a change as well. Considering a landscape will give the house a fresh and enticing look. You can add more flowers and plants or even create a patio if you want.
The possibilities for home improvement ideas are endless. There are a lot of home projects you can do for the summer that you and your family can enjoy doing together.
An energy source such as electricity is a basic necessity for every household. It helps improve our quality of living. However, the cost for its usage is getting more expensive over time. It causes anxiety and a lot of stress, especially when it’s time to pay the bills. As a result, most citizens are trying their best to save energy to lower its monthly cost.
The Percentage Chart of Household Energy Consumption
Usually, a regular American household will pay as much as $1200 to $1700 annually for the electric bill. It may vary from different household usage, but we can break down the average energy consumption percentage as follows.
- Air-conditioning and Heating 35%
- Household devices and other appliances (Computers, TV, Laundry, etc.) 25%
- Water heater 18%
- The fridge 10%
- The lights 5%
- Cooking 4%
- Standby Consumption and resistance 3%
Using the breakdown above as a reference, you can make possible plans on how to reduce the energy cost. Below are some of the pointers we can suggest.
- Replace old high-energy consuming appliances. One of the most excellent ways is to find the appliances that consume the most electric power and replace it with an energy efficient one. Old devices consume more energy than they should. Buying new air conditioner, boilers, or furnace to replace a 10-year-old predecessor will bring significant changes in the utility bill.
- Programmable Home Heaters can save as much as $200 annually for proper usage. The latest types of heaters will automatically turn off once the temperature is favorable and will start to function once again when the temperature turns colder. There are also apps you can run that can to keep its consumption under your control. The recent development in cooling and heating systems make it more energy efficient. Therefore, homeowners are sure to get more operating hours for a lesser amount and power from what the previous item provides.
- Homeowners can use the ceiling fan to improve room temperature rather than putting air conditioners in every corner of the house. It costs as much as a few cents a day. Its energy efficiency comes from its mechanism that locks and circulates the air from the inside of a room, which gives a cooling effect. However, homeowners should know the importance of its fan directions. Ceiling fans should rotate clockwise if its winter so the air can cool up and gets pushed up in the ceiling. Meanwhile, it should be on a counter-clockwise rotation in summer so it can function in reverse.
- Use LED or CFL lighting because these lights are excellent energy savers. They provide the same white lighting as fluorescent lights but with less heat. Additionally, they last longer in comparison to its predecessor. If you have lights that are not LED (light-emitting diode) or CFL (incandescent light bulbs), it is time to consider replacing them.
- Solar power is unlimited and free so considering it would be a great idea. Setting up a renewable clean power system for solar energy for a few lights or appliances will cut the bill significantly. It can help reduce fossil fuels and foreign oil dependency. Although it’s quite expensive to set up, it pays itself in the long run. Aside from that, it is environment-friendly.
There are significant and effective ways to lower the cost of energy bills. You have to find a way to cut back the power consumption. Learn and understand every product so you can have an idea on how much it takes up on energy. From there, make an alternative way of usage. It will not only help you save up tons from your bills, but it will also relieve you from the stress it gives.
Home improvement is one of the best things to invest on as it can enhance the house and increase its market value. It brings greater satisfaction towards homeowners when the changes turn out amazingly well. However, it is necessary to note that not all home improvements are practical and can add market value to a residence. Therefore, homeowners should learn the proper guidelines.
The question regarding what kind of practical and easy way to make home improvements is the typical start of the process. There are also issues on the subject of home improvement projects that we also need to avoid. Both significant and insignificant effects can drastically create an impact on home market value. So it is wise to make careful plans before starting a home improvement scheme to prevent overspending.
Practical Home Improvement Tips
Repainting – Repainting the house is one of the most deliberate ways of home improvements. It is also one of the easiest and cheapest methods that can add thousands of dollars to a residence. A repaint job gives the house a new breath of life making it look fresh and pleasing to the eyes. Paints are cheap, but homeowners should expect the additional cost for hiring people to do the job. As such, it is advisable for them to do it themselves so they can subtract the charge for labor, making it far cheaper.
Kitchen Remodeling – Remodeling the kitchen is a best long-term investment for home value. With careful planning, homeowners can expect as much as 50 to 100 percent of a return investment depending on how they renovate the whole or portion of the area. However, overspending on it or making it stand out from the rest of the parts of the house can create an opposite effect. Therefore, it is advisable to remodel the kitchen based on the theme of the house and not stray far away from its design.
Landscaping – It is a good idea to do a little landscaping if homeowners have a yard. Most landscaping adds a sense of calmness in the house’s totality when there’s a properly designed lawn. For as low as $400 and a good lawn scheme, homeowners can expect $1000 worth of return upon selling it. However, homeowners have to give additional time for lawn maintenance to keep it shipshape.
Insulation – Energy efficient insulation can do wonders for homeowners’ living experience. Not only can it lessen the cost of utility bills, but it also increases the house’s comfortability. It is a basic knowledge that houses should have schematics for energy efficient insulation to avoid costly maintenance. Its inability to retain temperature at a more favorable fix can save a lot of energy, time, and money. As such, it is advisable to check and replace old house insulations.
Basic Maintenance – It is the basic maintenance that mostly adds market value to a house. It keeps the house from deteriorating and prevents it from losing its value over time. Doing basic maintenance such as fixing roof leaks, removing molds, replacing rotting wood attachments, and patching cracks can save the house for an extended period. Since proper maintenance can become too expensive, homeowners need to find alternative ways to work on it in less costly ways. It is much convenient to stay focused on safety and stable features.
Please bear in mind that home improvements don’t need to be overly expensive. Its process should be within a reasonable boundary between what you want and what it does for long-term investment. Make sure that the designs you wish to add are not disorderly arranged, as these will affect the aesthetical outlook of your home.
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start writing!
The exterior wood trim can give a house a natural beauty and new architectural aesthetics. It is why most homeowners want to preserve it for as long as possible. They use exterior wood treatment products to make it last without diminishing it of its natural beauty. Due to such demands, manufacturers for exterior wood treatment products are continuously raising their quality contents to make the process of preservation more possible.
Do A Research
What is the best exterior treatment for wood? It is the question that most homeowners find quite challenging to answer. Unfortunately, no treatment product is better than the other if there’s a consideration on the type of wood from different kinds of project. It is a very complicated matter because there’s a need to keep the wood of its natural beauty and preserve it throughout the years as well.
The best way to get the best exterior treatment for wood is to familiarize yourself with different properties of products for wood treatment. It will help in finding the best suitable methods and products for a wood project. It also allows a better explanation on how the different treatments can protect woods from deterioration and decay.
Treatment for Preservation
The process of preservation is a type of treatment that hardens and strengthens the wood. It usually helps in protecting shed and fencer, as well as decking oil treatments. Most products that fall in this category are oil or wax based. It provides the wood surface grain with a durable weather resistant coating as it dries after application. The advantage of these kinds of products is its maintainability and convenience. You can re-apply a fresh coat whenever the wood surface starts to wear out. There will be lesser work because there’s no need to strip or remove the old coating. It is also great for patch repairs as it tends to blend easily with its surroundings.
Though wood varnish and paints are still considerable for exterior coating, they somehow eventually tend to crack, flack, and peel easily. Fortunately, there are now multiple varieties of modern outdoor wood coating that are suitable for different situations. These products are made to overcome the harsh effects of weather, moisture, and changes in temperature.
The modern exterior wood coatings are durable yet flexible. With the right maintenance, there is no need to strip the wood for a new layer of coating (except for rare occasions). If its chemical composition makes the top layer coat wear out after a long time, it indicates that the wood finish needs maintenance and a new application. It is excellent for exterior joineries particularly wood doors, and wooden window frames.
Maintenance For Exterior Coating
It is effortless to restore and maintain exterior coating by following several steps.
- Remove the old finish by wiping it with Methylated Spirit. It is a type of denatured alcohol commonly used as a cleaning product. It quickly removes wood coatings such as varnish, paints, and wax.
- Ingrained wood surface and debris can be removed by lightly sanding the surface of the wood. It prepares it for a new layer of top coat. You can let it sit and wait for it to dry on its own.
- A fresh top coating is advisable after drying. It will help maximize the protection of the wood and restore its former attributes.
Woods are essential factors of home improvement so preserving it is a necessity. The process will not only keep your home’s full value but will also provide you with comfortability. This article did not purposely mention brands or products to stay unbiased in its content. However, it still emphasizes significant wood exterior treatments.
Every homeowner considers home improvements. That’s because renovation creates a more comfortable, lively and relaxing feeling to every home. However, monetary issues and time allotment prevent them from executing renovation plans. That is why many of them tend to look for an affordable and accessible home renovation idea. So in this article, we made a list of home improvement projects that homeowners may find possible given with a tight budget and time.
- Wallpaper For Wall Decor – It is one of the cheapest and fastest ways to bring new life to the house interior. It will only cost about less than $250. It is less messy than a paint job, and it only requires basic knowledge to apply. There are a wide variety of designs that homeowners can choose to suit their aesthetic senses.
- New Paint Job – Having a new paint job is quite an affordable home improvement project. A gallon of paint only costs as much as $15 to $30. It can cover an average size house for a consumable 10 to 15 gallons of paint. A rough estimate of a new paint house job will cost $400 to $600 at most if homeowners do the painting themselves. Not only does it give the house a beautifying effect, but it also increases its market value (in case there’s a plan of selling it).
- Lightings – Changing the old incandescent light with CFLs or LED lights is a must. It saves energy as well as the electric bill. The items don’t cost much and may take quite a long time of usage. It is energy efficient and easy to install. It’s one of the practical things to do when the house feels a little bit dark, lonely, and crowded.
- Garden And Landscaping – The idea of creating a landscape or putting a lawn is an affordable option to add value and natural beauty in your residence. However, it is somehow time-consuming albeit its affordability. Seeds and soil are easy and cheap to acquire, but planning and building the garden is another issue. Therefore, frequent checks and maintenance are needed. The good thing about this home improvement project is the source of natural and fresh outdoor ambiance.
- Re-arranging The Furniture – All items in your home require a particular space, but it shouldn’t limit your creativity there. You can start home improvements by merely re-arranging the positions of the furniture. Find the right angles that will allow better airflow and good sunlight. This way, it can grant a more defined interior comfort and peace.
- Crown Molding – Homeowners can get crown moldings for as cheap as $3 to $4 per foot. It provides a sophisticated design to the walls and ceilings’ meeting points. It creates an impression of broader house areas due to the illusion of higher looking ceilings. It gives the home an excellent visual approach, and it also makes every room feel a little less bland and boxy as well.
- Hanging Wall Arts – Putting wall arts over the walls can give a definite increase in the interior design of the house. However, it is necessary to note that too much of everything is not good at all. Therefore, the right selection of materials should be taken into consideration. There are numerous wall arts which are affordable at some garage sales and some antique shops. And if you are an artist yourself, you can create your project as well.
Doing home improvement projects are not only beneficial for your home but to your satisfaction as well. However, always remember that overdoing it will give an opposite effect. Spend your money, effort, and time wisely and don’t start out without a renovation plan.
Home improvements have numerous advantages that homeowners can enjoy. However, it is often put on hold due to the lack of time and funds. Most homeowners don’t know that placing this kind of home improvement project on hold for a long time will end up costing a lot more. The fixture damages continue to go worse, and it becomes more expensive to fix or replace it by then. That is the reason why it is advisable to start the home improvement project as soon as it’s needed. But take note, if you are not sure about what to do, it is always better to consult inspectors or interior design experts.
Primary Reasons To Start Home Renovation Projects
It Saves Money, Time, And Effort – Home improvement prevents any old house damage from getting worse. Fixing small issues right away will cost lesser than having to replace the whole thing. Homeowners can start by taking away old appliances that consume too much source of energy and replace it with energy efficient ones. Not only does it lessen utility bills, but it also allows them to experience an item upgrade. For example, the earlier types of air conditioning and heaters consume 30 to 40 percent more than the latest models, making them a lot expensive to operate for an extended period of hours.
Improve Comfort And Security – There are advanced renovations that can improve the quality of home living experience. It is the installation or replacement of alarms and security in particular. Since the house takes care of valuable possessions, it requires thorough security features. It needs to be secure and out of danger all of the time.
It Increases Home Value – There is a possibility that homeowners might want to sell their house and move to a new one. They will more likely want to increase its selling value as much as possible before the sale. Therefore, home improvements are the best way to do it. They can consider landscaping, new paint job, insulation replacements, and roofing. These renovations add more value to a home as long as homeowners can restrain from overspending.
It Gives A Mental And Emotional Satisfaction – The right selection of the home improvement process doesn’t only improve the overall appearance of a house but also impacts the people who live in it as well. In some events, it affects people’s mental and emotional aspects in positive ways. It enhances their way of living by providing them with a fresh and better start. The new atmosphere brings a sense of comfortability, serenity, and mindfulness.
Adds More Space
There are home improvement projects that can increase the area inside the house. Room expansions are examples of such projects which growing families usually consider. Renovations and extensions are commonly their solutions. In some events, reorganizing and re-stuffing also help. By replacing some pieces of furniture, the house can get extra space or a broader oblique view without room expansions. It is a common strategy for those homeowners who have smaller areas.
The house and its items will get older and shabby through the years. It gets uglier and becomes costly to maintain over time. Therefore, buying new ones and replacing the old ones is a bit more practical. Replacing broken and rotting things such as doors, windows, roofing, and appliances are good targets for an easy and well-maintained home improvement too. However, the process shouldn’t have to be expensive and if some items are still working properly, might as well save and use it until such time.
There are infinite possibilities and advantages in home improvement. It’s all about the desire, plans, and the purpose that will determine the remodeling goal.
There are times when you will feel that your home is starting to get dull, lifeless, and unpleasant. What’s worse is that you might see cracks in the walls, notice holes in the ceiling, and experience leaks in the roof. It is an indication that the house needs fixing. Perhaps it’s time to consider some renovations or home improvement because it will cost a lot of time, effort, and money if these kinds of damage get bigger that repair won’t be able to handle.
There are signs that homeowners can determine if their house needs a remodeling job. Most remodeling projects for home improvement may put a dent in savings. However, if the house is showing signs of deterioration, rot, or leak, then it is best to start the home improvement as soon as possible. The list below may help homeowners see if the house needs some work.
ItSeems Crowded – Does your house feel a little too crowded? If there are lesser rooms to move around, no place for extra stuff, and feels a bit suffocating, then yes it is crowded. It is time to do some furniture reorganizing or maybe a room extension project. Those are good options to consider so you can add extra space inside the house. Not only does it help in de-cluttering things, but it also gives the house a fresh new look and allows more room to breathe.
There Are Leaks – It is a significant indication that your house needs some repairs. It is advisable to take action as soon as you see such signs. Try to trace the origin of the full damage to avoid wasting time, effort, and money on improper maintenance. Repairing little leaks, holes, and cracks are easy to fix, and it usually costs a few hundred dollars. However, more significant problems such as replacing the whole roofing cost a lot.
Fading And Chipping Paint – It is not an essential house issue for homeowners to fix right away. The whole house can function as efficient as before even with the fading and chipping paint. However, repainting it is an excellent thing to do if you want to keep the house lively and fresh. It is also an ideal action to increase the house’s market value if there’s a plan on selling it. A repainted house shows a significant effect that somehow pleases people. Fortunately, it doesn’t cost as much as other house improvement projects.
Floor Cracks – It happens when the earth beneath the house starts to shift, or something heavy falls over the floor. You may often ignore it, but these cracks can cause a series of house floor damages. Cracked tiles or flooring needs to be replaced to avoid any accidents that might cause by it. Not only it is dangerous in some instances, but cracked floors also make the house look untidy as well. Gladly, it is not that expensive to replace if ever you want to do it by yourself.
Rotting Wood Fixtures – Wood rots no matter what type of wood you use for your house fixtures. It is usually the result of time, weather corrosion, and pests. If you see rotting wood in your installations, then it is advisable to check for termites before you do repairs, because even if you start repairing what you know, you might still leave out issues in the end.
The signs above show that your home needs some helping hand. You can choose to do some repairs on your own, but it is advisable to get help from contractors if the damages are more than what you can handle. It is to ensure that the problem reaches the right home improvement solution.